Last Time for Everything

 Something I’ve always loved—and kind of been surprised about—is the way my parents handle the huge changes that are taking place in their babies’ lives. Sometimes I wonder if they’re just glad to get rid of us all because they started having kids so late and are ready to do ‘retired people things’.

Other times it hits me that we’re all just so lucky to have such supportive parents. I know there have been a few tears shed in private around those big events; graduations, eighteenth and twenty-first birthdays, moving off to college, and weddings. However, my parents weren’t the type to cry and make us feel bad. It makes it all so much easier to know that they’re just so proud of us and excited that we’re taking the next big step. They want that for us, even if we’re not quite sure we’re ready.

I remember the day mom, dad, and Monica helped me move up to college. I had been packing for weeks, and as much as I thought I was ready to get the hell out of dodge, I bawled in my dorm room after giving them all hugs and shutting that ridiculously heavy door. I know Monica cried that night, too, and I wouldn’t be surprised if mom did as well.

But here’s the thing… Instead of making it a horrible, sad event, they left me feeling like I really could achieve anything I set my mind to. I’m incredibly grateful for that.

On my wedding day, mom did my hair and I did my makeup. We didn’t cry then. We were just so happy that I was about to marry the love of my life.

I started crying about halfway down the aisle, hanging on to my dad’s arm. He was probably rolling his eyes, but the amount of love I had for that man and the man he was about to give me away to just couldn’t be expressed with anything but tears.

They didn’t cry as we loaded up all of my stuff and our wedding gifts the day after the wedding, either. They just waved us off with hugs and smiles, and all I could think about was the song Last Time for Everything by Brad Paisley. And because they had made officially moving out such a happy experience, I didn’t even cry.

All I can say is I’m beyond lucky to have such amazing parents, and that I’m so glad they encouraged me to wait for the man of my dreams.

Comments